Ready Regimen: Jess
Jess is a born-and-raised New Yorker currently living in Philly with her husband and 1 year old, and expecting a baby very soon. As a busy mom she advocates for a simple, less-is-more approach to everyday healthy skin and makeup. Follow her on Instagram for enviable photos of food, travel, and babies.
I'm a 28-year-old mom of 1, soon to be 2 (Eeeeep)! Born and raised in New York and giving birth in Philadelphia. I met my husband at a crowded bar (he was the bartender). It was love at first sight (it didn't get me free drinks though). As a family, we love to travel any chance we get. It's so important to both of us to never stay in one place for too long. Our dream is to show our babies the world and eat all the food along the way. Making moves and packing light! But between the baby-making, traveling, ordering take out, and lack of sleep, my face certainly pays for it. I'm still searching for the right routine, but I'm getting close! I see the light! So here's what I've got down so far:
- Every morning I wake up shortly after my son Miles because he's like, really, really good at waking up at the ass crack of dawn and it blows my mind. I'm soooo glad he's a morning person. He doesn't get that from me.
- I make coffee for myself and breakfast for Miles. He doesn't ever finish his breakfast so I shovel it all down for him. Gotta show him how it's done. Lead by example.
- Morning cartoons!!!
- I wash my face with Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser. It makes my face feel amazing. I close my eyes and I envision myself as a beautiful blooming pink rose in an English garden. It's a misty afternoon. Then the storm hits and he yells "MAMA, MAMA, MAMAAaaaaa!!! He wants some milky jelly cleanser too. We pretend wash his face.
- After I dry my face I like to throw on a serum. I have so many, but one I have been loyal to these past few weeks is The Ordinary "Buffet". It's really light and absorbs well. This pregnancy has made me extremely hormonal and my face has taken a beating for it, but this serum has made my face new again. I swear. It brightens and plumps in the best way. It has also saved me a pretty penny. Super affordable! I love a good bargain.
- Next up is The Ordinary Caffeine Solution around my eyes. The real goal here is to hide how tired I actually am/look and this serum really helps me achieve that. I've been using this magical stuff for a few weeks now and there's definitely a change in my under-eye complexion. YAAAS HUNTY. High five!
- Miles is digging his fingernails into my blush. Blush is everywhere. Blush is gone. RIP.
- For a moisturized face, my go to is the Glossier Priming Moisturizer. I tend to get red blotchy spots on my face and this moisturizer calms my face down. Redness goes away and my face resembles that of a Disney princess. Dreams do come true, you guys!!
- I keep makeup minimal because I have a toddler I wanna kiss 2358320x a day. Can't have a smooch fest with a full face. The game changer for me is the Glossier Stretch Concealer. I blend it in wherever I need it (under eyes, pesky red blotches). It's moisturizing without being too oily and the coverage is perfection. I've decided I can never be without it so I bring it with me everywhere I go. I can count on her. She's always got me covered.
- For full face coverage I splurged and got the NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation. I mean, the name says it all. I glow like a firefly and it lasts. All. Day. It's the stuff that fools lovely people into telling me "you're totally glowing from this pregnancy!!!". Sure! If you say so! Pregnancy and this foundation combined has turned me into a magical fairy. I believe I can fly. Thank you NARS and future daughter!!
- I definitely need a new blush after this.
- I can't leave the house without applying mascara. I use any mascara as long as it's not a clumpy drying mess. And TADAAA! She's alive!
- Now I need a nap.
My favorite time of day is when the sun goes down. Miles is down for the night and that gives me freedom to eat all the snacks I hide from him during the day. 1-2 times a week I'll put on a mask. I alternate between the Glossier Moisturizing Moon Mask and Lancôme Masque Pure Focus. The Moon mask is like a tall glass of water after a walk in the desert. Freaking delicious. My face loves it. The Lancôme mask is a mineral mask with white clay. After I use it, I feel like all of my sins have been sucked out through my face. It's incredible. As clean as can be! I'll wash the day away with Glossier milky jelly cleanser. Finish it off with The Ordinary Buffet serum and a little bit of coconut oil and then it's lights out. And then I get under the covers and indulge in my bedside chocolate chip cookies alone in the dark. Just kidding. Maybe.
Anywho, my advice for anyone with a crazy busy schedule like mine (kids, babies, babies on the way) is just stick to "less is more." Drink lots of water! Always make a little time for yourself every day. It will make you happier than you probably already are. Splurge on that foundation because you won't regret it. Go someplace you've never been before and bring mascara. Hide the good snacks somewhere they cannot see or reach. Stay moisturized and people will think you have it all together. And you totally do! Little victories!