No ordinary regimen
by Hilda Omeragic
Hilda is a 31-year-old wife and auntie to 5 beautiful girls. She's working towards a Nutrition degree and eventually moving onto dietetics. Born in Bosnia and now living in Chicago, she enjoys working out, cooking, and inventing heathy recipes and hopes to inspire healthy eating habits to all. Hilda is new to skincare and recently has become obsessed with taking care of her skin. More importantly, what you put in your mouth truly reflects your overall health, including your skin. Follow Hilda on Instagram at @hildaomeragic and at her shared beauty account with her sister-in-law, @go_withthe_glow.
What can I say about my skincare routine? I wish I got on board a lot sooner in life. But, I guess it's better late than never. I cringe when I look back at my high school and early 20's. I was so reckless with my skin. I never wore SPF. I know, I know! I'm rolling my eyes all the way back to my late teens. Crazy. Occasionally going to bed with makeup on, yup I did that too, don’t judge me. So uncool teenage Hilda, what on earth were you thinking?
Now that I am in my 30s, I have become a lot more skin conscious (as well as health conscious) and have been on a mission to find my holy grail regimen. My skin's current status is dry, with a few fine lines around my eyes, and some hyper-pigmentation issues. What a shocker?! I'm not surprised that I'm experiencing all of this going almost half of my life without using any SPF. My skincare routine is slowly coming together thanks to some beauty/skincare influencers. The famous skincare queens Caroline Hirons and Stephanie Nicole have taught me a ton. Kate was another huge help with skincare education, to which I owe a big thank you as well.
Once I felt like I had a good idea about what products I needed and how to use them, I decided to take a ginormous dive and place a large order on Beautylish. And by the way, how amazing is Beautylish and their incredible customer service? I ordered a ton of DECIEM's The Ordinary and my order arrived in less than 4 days. It was by far the best customer service I have ever experienced. Per Stephanie Nicole, Wayne Goss, and Caroline Hirons recommendations/reviews, I decided to order the Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%, Advanced Retinoid 2%, Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA, Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5, 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Moroccan Argan Oil, 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil, and Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA. A few weeks later, I got the Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution as well as the Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser. So basically, I am "The Ordinary” queen. I love every product and I am definitely repurchasing once I’m out.
My regimen is as follows:
Cleanse: After hearing only a million-plus-infinity amazing reviews, I knew I needed to jump on the Milky Jelly Cleanser bandwagon. I use the cleanser AM & PM. I have always had issues finding that perfect cleanser that did not dry my skin even more. I am absolutely infatuated with this pH-balanced Bae. It removes dirt, grime, and my makeup like a champ, and the best part, is it doesn't burn my eyes.
Tone: I use The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution. It's everything but "ordinary.” I had never used an acid exfoliant, and using this solution was my very first. Initially, I was very afraid because I had an unusual tingling sensation for a few seconds. On my second day, the unusual tingling sensation subsided. I figured, my skin was just adjusting to this new “awesome sauce.” Now, my skin cannot survive without it. I squeeze a bit onto my cotton pad, rub it all over my face avoiding under my eyes and eyelids.
Treat: I have a few serums to use for the skin issues I mentioned.
- Unclog pores: Although I use a mild chemical exfoliant as a toner, I also have Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid as well. I do not use this every night as I have found that it dries me out too much. I only use it on days when I have that occasional annoying hormonal breakout. It clears everything up and helps brighten and minimize my pores.
- Brighten: I use The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2%. I have gone through an entire bottle already. I apply a few drops into my hands and gently tap the product in. My skin drinks it up in a matter of seconds. It has helped transform my skin. It feels smoother and more even toned.
- Smooth wrinkles: I have The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%, which I use 3 nights a week. It is the first ever retin-based product I have ever used. My skin did not dry out or flake, which a lot of other retin-based products tend to do, so I’ve heard. I have seen my fine lines get noticeably smaller, yay me.
- Brighten and smooth wrinkles: To further treat my hyperpigmentation issues & fine lines, I use The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%. Since this is in a water-free base, you use it after water-based products. YES, I am very much ok with the gritty texture, I do not know what the fuss is about. I wait a bit before moving onto the next product application as the Vitamin C takes a bit to absorb.
- Hydrate: For additional hydration, I use The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5. I have gone through an entire bottle of this Bae as well. I love how it plumps up my skin and adds so much needed hydration back into my skin. My skin loves it, it absorbs so quickly and the best part is it's not sticky or tacky.
Moisturize: To moisturize, I use The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA. It absorbs quickly and gets the job done, what more do I need? I do have La Roche-Posay’s Toleriane Double Repair Moisturizer as well, which I also love and use every day. Both moisturizers are great and offer a ton of much-needed moisture and hydration. If I have had a super long day and my skin is on the drier side, I like to use the 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Moroccan Argan Oil. I mix a few drops with my Natural Moisturizing Factors and it does wonders for me. I feel like it helps seal all of my serums and treatments in as well.
SPF/Protect: I am still on the great wild search for that perfect SPF. I have gotten some amazing recommendations and I cannot wait to get my hands on some. Currently, in AM, I am using the Equate Ultra Protection Sunscreen Clear Zinc Oxide for Face SPF 50. I have used it all summer. It's gentle enough not to break me out but I am not a fan of how oily it is. It's my everyday sunblock under makeup, and it's one of the few Zinc Oxide formulas I've used that does not leave a very noticeable white cast. This will do until I finally can get my hands on something better.
My never-ending product list keeps growing as I keep learning. I may or may not have looked at a few products on Beautylish as I was typing this post. *Insert Kanye shrug* Couldn’t help myself. I truly enjoy learning and just connecting with other fellow skincare junkies about the new cult status products, ingredients, and how they work. I especially love sharing my new knowledge with others and hearing how good products are working out for them. While what you put on your face really does matter, what you put in your mouth has a far-reaching impact on not just your skin health, but your whole being. Eat a well-balanced meal, get some excercising in, and drink a ton of water. Your skin will thank you.